- change is the only constant in life.
- suffering is the universal experience of all persons.
- the root causes of our suffering are our penchant for craving that which we do not have and clinging to that which we do have, believing that having more will bring greater happiness. this belief is false.
- compassion and lovingkindness are the source of true happiness.
- we are all essentially the same.
- we are not our thoughts.
- we have the capacity to become more aware and to grow spiritually and intellectually.
- life happens in the present, not in rationalization of the past or by imagining a perfect future.
- the daily practice of meditation, of quieting the mind and focusing on the present, is essential for spiritual growth.
- increasing our mindful attention to the present leads to a peaceful, happy, and purposeful life.
it is difficult to reduce any belief system to a few essentials, but these above and the summary of jesus' teachings that i made last week are the core of what is essential for me as i live my day-to-day life. they are what i remind myself of at the start of each day and try to remember and practice throughout each day.
may each of us think deeply about what our most basic beliefs. may our lives demonstrate our beliefs. may we remember that love and acceptance of the impermanence of life are the keys to happiness. shalom.