Thursday, September 23, 2010

Christian Meditation?

Yesterday I did some research on the internet to find out more about meditation.  I was especially interested to learn more about Christian meditation in comparison to other forms of meditation.  Meditation is something that is new to me.  For too many years I have spoken to God, but I haven’t sought to enter his presence and just be still with God.  Several things emerged as I did my research.

First, I was disturbed to find evidence of some who are trying to take advantage of those who are seeking a genuine experience of meditation, of those who want to be in the presence of God through meditation.

Second, I was affirmed in my approach to meditation, that is, in seeking just to be still and focus on allowing myself to be present with God, I am finding peace and affirmation.

Third, there are fundamental differences between Christian meditation and other forms of meditation, the most important of which is that Christian meditation is focused on God rather than self; Christian meditation allows God to come into one’s heart and mind, rather than emptying out one’s self, clearing the mind of all thoughts.

As a novice at meditation, I have so much to learn and experience, but the rewards I have already seen are enormous.  This new way of experiencing God has been a revelation to me, and I don’t think I would ever return to my former practices of prayer.  I would love to hear from others who have been practicing meditation, Christian or other forms, about the changes meditation has brought to their lives.  Are there those who are experiencing meditation with a group, and, if so, how does that experience compare with private meditation?  I hope that I can hear from others who can help guide me along the path to a deeper awareness of the presence of God through meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment