Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Quick Prayers

As I went out to my back yard to scatter some bread for the birds, I found myself saying a prayer of thanks for the beauty of some flowering moss my wife had planted.  It suddenly occurred to me that I was saying quick prayers of thanksgiving throughout the day with no conscious effort on my part, with no intention or preparation.  I realized that God was working in my heart to transform me into a more mindful person. Everywhere I turn there are reasons to give God thanks.  As I began writing this post, Jesus' words, "when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words" (Matthew 6:7) came to mind.  I wonder if Jesus was urging us to speak to God in the quick prayers of thanksgiving that seem to be popping into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment